Comparison of the Effectiveness of Hematoma Block Versus Conscious Sedation in Close Reduction of Distal Radius Fracture
Objectives: To compare the effectiveness of hematoma block versus conscious sedation in close reduction of distal radius fracture in term of pain reduction
Methods: This Randomized controlled trail was conducted in the Department of Orthopaedic Hayatabad Medical Complex Peshawar from March 2015 to February 2016. In this study a total of 76 (38 in each group) patients were observed. Hematoma block was allocated group–A and conscious sedation was allocated group-B.
Results: The mean age in group A was 42.05 (SD ± 12.08) years. While the mean age in group B was 47 (SD ± 11.61) years. In group A, male patients were 11 (28%) while female were 27(72%). Male patients were in group B 12(32%) while female was 26(68%). Effectiveness in group A was 26(68%) while (12)32% was non-effective. Effectiveness in group in group B was 11(28%) while 27(72%) was non-effective.
Conclusion: Our study show that hematoma block is more effective than conscious sedation in close reduction of distal radius fracture in term of pain reduction.
2. Tahririan MA, Javdan M, Nouraei MH, Dehghani M. Evaluation of instability factors in distal radius fractures. J Res Med Sci. 2013 Oct;18(10):892-6.
3. White JS. Fractures of the distal radius. Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2013 Jan-Mar;35(1):8-15.
4. Myderrizi N, Mema B. The hematoma block an effective alternative for fracture reduction in distal radius fractures. Med Arh. 2011;65(4):239-42.
5. Bahari-Kashani M1, Taraz-Jamshidy MH1, Rahimi H1, Ashraf H1, Mirkazemy M2, Fatehi A et al. Outcomes of pin and plaster versus locking plate in distal radius intraarticular fractures. Trauma Mon. 2013 Winter;17(4):380-5.
6. Ranjeet N, Estrella EP. Distal radius fractures: does a radiologically acceptable reduction really change the result? J Clin Diagn Res. 2012 Oct;6(8):1388-92.
7. Inam M, Shah MN, Satar A, Ahmad T, Arif M. Effectiveness of hematoma block in term of pain relief in distal radius fractures. Rawal Med J 2017;42(3):356-8
8. Thomas BP, Sreekanth R. Distal radioulnar joint injuries. Indian J Orthop. 2012 Sep;46(5):493-504.
9. Kakar HA, Makhdoom A, Laghari MA, Shah NH, Qureshi PAL, Siddiqui KA. Evaluation of different modalities of treatment in Colles' Fractures. J Pak Orthop Assoc 2010;22:75-81.
10. Anjum MP, Hussain FN, Ali A, Mehboob I. Post-operative wrist movement in percutaneous fixation by K-wire of colles' fracture. Med Channel 2010;16:331-3.
11. Ross A, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW. The hematoma block: a simple, effective technique for closed reduction of ankle fracture dislocations. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2011 Jul-Aug;50(4):507-9.
12. Myderrizi N, Mema B. The hematoma block an effective alternative for fracture reduction in distal radius fractures. Med Arh. 2011;65(4):239-42.
13. Ismatullah. Hematoma block local anesthesia for closed reduction of Colles' type fracture. J Postgrad Med Ins. 2011;25(1):56-61.
14. Sprot H, Metcalfe A, Odutola A, Palan J, White S. Management of distal radius fractures in emergency departments in England and Wales. Emerg Med J. 2013 Mar;30(3):211-3.
15. Kendall JM, Allen PE, McCabe SE. A tide of change in the management of an old fracture? J Accid Emerg Med. 1995; 12: 187-8.
16. Ogunlade SO, Omololu AB, Alonge TO, Salawu SA, Bamgboye EA. Haematoma block in reduction of distal radial fractures. West Afr J Med. 2002; 21: 282-5.
17. Handoll HH, Madhok R, Dodds C. Anaesthesia for treating distal radial fracture in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002; (3): CD003320.
18. Singh GK, Manglik RK, Lakhtakia PK, Singh A. Analgesia for the reduction of Colles' fracture. A comparison of hematoma block and intravenous sedation. Online J Curr Clin Trials. 1992; Doc No 23: